Filter by Category
with Workforce & Career Solutions
The phlebotomist is a vital member of the clinical laboratory team, whose main function is to obtain patient’s blood specimens by venipuncture and micro collection for testing purposes. Phlebotomists are employed throughout the healthcare system including in hospitals, neighborhood health centers, medical group practices, and in other healthcare settings. Healthcare industry experts predicted a 15% increase in phlebotomy jobs by 2021.
Phlebotomists should have/be: A high school graduate, or working on a G.E.D. In good health. MMR and PPD immunization records must be up to date. Dependable, patient, tactful, and have a desire to help people.
Students will learn:
- The history of phlebotomy & the healthcare setting
- Blood and blood composition, blood tubes, coagulation, venipuncture protocols, etc.
- Infection control, safety, first aid, & personal wellness Universal precautions including safety protocols and infection control Laboratory operations (e.g. safety, quality control)
- Blood banks and blood typing, lab departments and personnel Medical terminology and laboratory theory
- Human anatomy & physiology of the circulatory system
- Specimen collection, processing, and handling
- Blood collection equipment, additives, & order of draw Venipuncture specimen collection procedures
- Capillary puncture equipment and procedures
- Arterial puncture procedures
- Non-blood specimens and tests
You MUST attend a Healthcare Career or a GRIT Location Career Training Information Session prior to being accepted into a Phlebotomy Technician training class. Register for a FREE Information Session here:
Healthcare Training Programs
Start a career in the healthcare industry! The healthcare field currently has some of the fastest-growing, in-demand occupations.
Learn more about FLCC's Certified Nurse Aide, Home Health Aide, Phlebotomy Technician, and Medical Administrative Assistant classes. You can become career ready in as little as 3 weeks, depending on the training program you select.
To learn more, attend one of our scheduled Healthcare Careers Information Sessions. This exploration session will provide you the info needed to enroll and access possible funding sources for all Workforce & Career Solutions Healthcare Career classes.
To register, follow this link and select an available session. After providing your contact information, you will receive a digital "ticket" to the event: